Of late, I continually seem to be reminded in conversation or observation that as men we need to get a few things straight. I have been sharing with those close to me that I am burden for young men, my generation, or in some cases those my senior. We seem to missing it when it comes to work, home, church and “play”. We have all heard the statement “work hard, play hard” Most would agree that they need to work hard at work, that they know they need to engage in family and church. However, in my observation, many get caught up in and over emphasizing the “my time” or what “I need” or “play hard”. Now before you think I am suggesting just work harder or don’t do anything for fun with your friends like golf, hunting, fishing… or personally for me racing events (now we are getting personal). Hear me clearly, that is not what I am saying. It is an important part of life, spending time with other men “iron sharpening iron”.
What I am saying is, men lets do what we were created for… serving hard at work and more importantly serve hard at home! Get involved in our children’s lives, love on Mom and go deep in their hearts! When it comes to our “play time” men we were given our families first in God’s design – not over God, but above all else here on this earth it is our families! Don’t fall for the lie that we need something else to fulfill us, only Jesus can do that when we lean on Him for the strength to do what we were designed for!
A friend posted this video and when I watched it… I was so pumped, I had to share it with Cathy right away and few others…as this is exactly what I have been concerned about! Matt Chandler kills it in this 5 minutes. Warning – this short clip is a clear punch to the gut if you are not engaged in this area.
So, why do I know this won’t be popular?
- Stop looking how to get out of the house, but rather how can you go deep with your wife and children!
- Stop looking to find rest in hanging out, hobbies and stuff – find it in Jesus and what He designed you for!
- As Matt said – go to bed exhausted because you went deep and big at home, and of course, at work.
- Do what you were designed for – Work hard, and invest hard in what really matters and what really is fulfilling!
- Show your family that Jesus is big by reflecting Him as you dig in with them!
- Don’t miss out on this time – trust me as one who just watched his son go to college – it goes way to fast!
In Jesus you can do this!
What ways do you practically go deep at home?